Wednesday 1 April 2009

Lucha Matches of the Year 2008

Apparently I didn't post this. I've put together my lucha match of the year list. 2008 has been a great year personally, having been pointed in the direction of, and having been able to watch, a load of guys I'd never known before. Black Terry, in particular, might be my favourite guy in Mexico, but this year also marks the first time I've watched Negro Navarro, Freelance, Los Oficiales, a bunch of CMLL undercard guys (Arkangel de la Muerte is my favourite of those) and Cassandro.

Access to IWRG television has been an excellent addition to my watching, though I think it will be short-lived. I weep. I've been watching a bit of CMLL from the first half of the year, and it's been OK. I need more Panther stuff from the second half, though.

I went with Blue Panther vs. Villano V for my lucha match of the year. This irked me a little because my puro match of the year is the BattlArts six-man, and I thought it was a bit dull to agree with so many other lists (especially the Segunda Caida guys and other the Wrestling KO guys). But, both of those matches really are a bit special - the intensity, the depth, the violence of the BattlArts trios, and the unbridled emotion, drama and atmosphere of the mask match are unequaled in 2008. Happily (I have decided), it's just as interesting to see what comes after those top two matches on these lists. Plus, a choice between being a bit unoriginal or being a contrarian just to be a contrarian, isn't a hard choice for a credible fan.

Anywhere, here's my final list of lucha. I haven't reviewed much of it here, unfortunately. I will try a do the London show at some point soon - Santo is still a treat to watch, and in 2008, quite a rare treat. Should also put the Blue Panther stuff together at some point as well.

1. Blue Panther vs. Villano V, CMLL 19th September
2. Freelance/Fenix/Pendulo v. Black Terry/Negro Navarro/El Hijo Del Pierroth, IWRG 3rd October
3. Mystico De La Juarez/Silver King/Rubi Gardenia v. Cassandro/Magno/El Hijo Del Santo, Lucha Libre London 9th December
4. Averno vs. Blue Panther, CMLL 4th November (YouTube link, because it's impossible to find)
5. Rey Cometa/Pegasso/Freelance v. Los Oficiales, IWRG 16th October
6. Atlantis vs. Blue Panther, CMLL 11th July
7. Black Terry v. Multifacetico, IWRG 28th February, YouTube link
8. La Sombra vs Ephesto, CMLL 7th December
9. Negro Navarro/Shu El Guerrero vs. Solar/Super Astro, Monterrey 18th May
10. Rey Cometa/Pegasso/Freelance v. Los Oficiales, IWRG 9th October
11. Sombra/Volador Jr./Sagrado vs Hijo Del Fantasma/La Mascara/Valiente, CMLL 30th April
12. Blue Panther vs. Negro Casas, CMLL Guadalajara 3rd August
13. Perro Aguayo Jr vs Hector Garza, CMLL 21st March
14. Mistico/Marco Corleone/Shocker vs. Perro Aguayo/Averno/Mephisto, CMLL 30th April
15. Mistico/La Sombra vs El Averno/El Mephisto, CMLL Guadalajara 27th January

No comments: