Wednesday 29 July 2009

ECW: 28th July 2009

Video recap of the title change at Night of Champions to begin. I enjoyed the match as much as I'm ever going to enjoy a Tommy Dreamer non-gimmick match, as it was worked at a good pace and Christian led him (probably) through a textbook competitive face vs. face match.

First match is another Burchill vs. Reks match. So, Reks is the big guy who has high flying offence. He's Mark Jindrak or Sean O'Haire. Burchill has a great mean attitude and matches in with a no-nonsense moveset. He makes Reks offence look good too. He seems like a veteran guy putting over a green guy in a short TV match, except he's at the other end of his career. He needs to be given an opportunity.

Kozlov has a squash, mainly I would guess while they wait to start his ECW title feud. At least, I hope that's what's happening, rather than a dull power feud with Ezekiel Jackson. Of course, if this all turns into a homoerotically-charged courtship ritual, I am SOLD.

This week, Goldust is putting over Sheamus, who needs a competitive match to decide if he's any good. Actually, this ended up more as a competitive squash, with Sheamus cutting off most of Goldust's comebacks quite quickly. Goldust is so old-school in getting the audience involved in the match. I see little details in Sheamus' performance that bode well - the facial mannerism, taking time to sell the strike to the lip. Maybe if he could just become a little bit less blinding my eyes.

It is just wrong how much I get excited when I hear Christian's music. Damn you catchy emo-metal. Damn you. But it mean's Christian is in a wrestling match, and that's always good. I'm ashamed to admit how much joy I get from watching the dorkiness of Zack Ryder. Unlike most guys given the arrogant narcissist gimmick, I'm getting the underlying insecurity of the character that makes it more relatable. He has a catchphrase because he thinks he needs a catchphrase to be a big star (regardless of how meaningless it is), he trys to talk tough but he's using out-of-date terms like "bro", he wears an outlandish set of tights hoping to be like the coolest people who wear odd combinations and make them work (and he looks like he's trying to hard). It's done perfectly because of how seriously he takes all this stuff which is oestensiably ludicrous. Then, beneath all that is a perfectly effective wrestler, which stops the thing being purely comedy.

Deep psychoanalysis aside, I enjoyed this match a lot. They get a surprising amount of time, and they use it well, with Christian dominating moreso than he often does, playing off the idea that Ryder isn't a serious contender. I love how slick his low-impact mat stuff is - he exudes control in the early going. He takes a customary bump to the outside, setting up the heat section with Ryder working the ribs and Christian selling it throughout. The finish is good as it gave the impression of both a hard-fought victory, putting Ryder over, but with Christian hitting a series of signature moves uncountered at the end, it also felt like a the better man won, and that Ryder still has some improving to do before he can move to the next level.

Even I'm surprised about the amount I found to write on the main event. Is it possible to overanalyse things? Tune in next week for my eighteen part thesis on that very question.

No comments: