Monday 31 August 2009

ECW: 25th August 2009

Been away for a couple of weeks (Edinburgh Fringe 2009 oh yeah), so let's get back into some wrestling. I've a review of Summerslam coming - goodish show (there's more). I'm also thinking of doing a Great Sasuke project, based on my growing love of Sasuke this year, and my lack of M-Pro watching from the early to mid 1990s. Thoughts, my regular readers?

So, the Extreme Championship Wrestling. Regal on this stick is good times, especially him reaching breaking point as Christian taunts him with "eight seconds" and the Bill stuff. And who else in wrestling can get away with a finger wag? (If nobody thinks about Hogan, I'll get away with this)

Goldust and Sheamus get a video package. Not Rock-Austin, but then that would be pretty weird. Shorter match, but intense. So many WWE feuds, even the headline ones, don't convey the hatred that I'm getting from this series. I was delighted with the non-finish because I want to see a no-dq based gimmick match, and see Dustin go out it.

Zack Ryder makes the tag match for me. The ridculous way he refuse to take a tag because he's fixing his knee pads, and shouting orders at Benjamin, much to Shelton's displeasure was as entertaining as anything. Yoshi gets some kicks in, but this was all about the angle and the feud. And here's a question - whose the worst Tyler? Reks or Black? Both are bigger athletic guys who can jump around a bit, which seems to be the only thing they bring. I'm going with Black because Reks is just a third show undercard guy, while Black is pushed as a guy as good as Danielson or McGuiness.

Main event is just great. Not often you see such a long TV match with such protracted level of violence. Regal makes everything look killer. Christian can't match him for striking ability, although he has a go. What he can do is take big bumps and sell like the best babyface in the company that he is. The arm wringer off the apron was nasty. Regal's selling is also great. He makes Christian's elbow to the face look like he'd been shot, even though it was probably pretty safe. They both convey the overall toll of the match - watch Regal collapse near the end for a pin cover. I loved the finish - Christian impulsively lashes out at Koslov over the previous week's beatings, provoking the interference which costs him the match. That final knee was exactly violent enough to cap off this match. Right to the top of my WWE MOTY list for you. Almost.

2 comments:

Brian said...

love to see some sort of homage to Sasuke..

Edinburgh, as in Scotland, I presume? over on my website (reviewtheworld.com) I have a three-part article called "Me vs. Scotland" sort of a trip diary of my visit over to there, Glasgow, etc.

Craig said...

Yeah, Edinburgh, Scotland. Had a week up there for the Festival. I've still yet to do things like see the Castle, because that's there all the time (presumably), while Fringe shows are not. I'll go there outside of August one year.