Friday 13 November 2009

ECW: November 10th 2009

I have been watching ECW all the while, just not posting reviews. I've started several, but scrapped them after they proved dull. The shows are excellent, do not get me wrong, but haven't found anything worthwhile to say. Quite frankly, there's enough wasted words on the Internet (running by in the Blogosphere, just past the Twitterscape) and I don't need to join in. I've been enjoying the lengthy feud story arcs, particularly of Christian and Regal, but also of Burchill and Helms.

I nearly got tickets for this show, but it turned out that it was fortunate that I didn't, as I ended up with a work thing. I'll see Christian live one day, and I will go nuts for his entrance music. Opening Abraham Washington intro was kind of pointless, an entire segment built around a quick pop culture reference. The segment has a charm, albeit a special one.

Some has a Vote Jedward sign in the audience as Goldust comes to the ring, and already I wish this was not in Britain. The "Who are ya" chant during the last segment was tired enough. If they'd done that right after Washington's lengthy introduction, that would have been funny, but no. I'm so proud of my fellow countrymen. And while I'm complaining about people who use words, there is nothing ironic about Burchill "preparing to take on ECW's superhero next week" while this week he's facing ECW's most bizarre superstar. It's not even coincidence, let alone irony. It's just two occurences. Fine little TV match. Goldust is one of the best guys anywhere for four minute TV matches. Strong selling, well-timed comebacks and cutoffs, crisp offence; Goldust in incredibly watchable even with so little time.

I don't think there's anyone anywhere in the world having as much fun with his life than Zack Ryder, and I'm glad we get to share in his dorky glory. He'll probably take my no. 100 place on my WKO ballot, just for a year's worth of entertaining television.

New commentator annoys for a second time at the beginning of the Regal-Christian match with his lack of English speaking ability, saying how Christian had problems checking in last night, and that you don't want to allude to anything, but Regal has connections. You see, the thing about Regal is, well, I ain't saying he a golddigga. But he ain't...erm, let's focus on the match rather than soil this blog's near perfect reputation for not using racial slurs. I liked this match a lot. What I particularly liked is how both men have enough confidence in themselves and each other to stray away from the formula match which Christian has used so well this year with less experienced opponents. There was no particular bump which switched the match from early Christian control to heel opponent body part work, which is the biggest structured element of most Christian matches. Instead, the match feels a lot more organic and contested. They work lots of struggle spots, especially Regal, whose had this short section of pinfall attempts where each looked like it required a huge effort. Christian displayed hints of heeling, in the face of strong support for Regal. I liked the Killswitch being used as a nearfall, in desperation, and the push off the turnbuckle bump being used by Regal on defence rather than on attack. Christian's elbows to escape the Regal Stretch were awesome. Working with Regal this summer and autumn really seems to have improved Christian's striking.

I don't think this was better than their two matches in August and September, for all the things I liked about it. I think the crowd may have diminished my enjoyment - maybe it was the pace or the style (a match bereft of rope running or excessive reversal spots lacks the immediacy of, say, a John Morrison match) or the split allegiances, but their reactions were all over the place. I would suspect this had an impact of Regal and Christian's performances - both men are experienced enough to work off the crowd, so when a crowd is as confused as this one was, it must throw them. Something felt slightly off throughout the match. Objectively though, this was excellent.

I will say this though. Don't you think it's sort of ironic that I just watched an episode of ECW, while tomorrow I'll probably watch something from Japan? Don't you?

No comments: