Tuesday 16 February 2010

NECW: Episode 4

Episode four's opener is the first time I've seen DC Dillinger in action. He is played, I believe, by Brad Garrett. As a lean big guy, I didn't get the sense of him being actively great, but his generic offence (big boot, sidewalk slam) looked OK, he didn't move awkwardly, and Scott Levesque's brief minutes in control didn't look implausible. Basically, he'd be the best guy in Kronic but the worst in the Outsiders. This was nearly a squash, I'd be sort of interested to see how he'd do a real match.

The main event between Brandon Locke and Little Guido was one I was semi-looking forward to, and it was a little disappointing, but generally OK. I was kind of hoping submission fighting James Maritato was going to show up, but the opening matwork was indieish to say the least. Locke is a decent bumper and sells offence nicely, but his control sections relied heavily on restholds and he doesn't have the heel schtick to make that particularly compelling. Guido's no Mysterio when it comes to outsized babyfaces, but the match was structured simply enough, and the Guido comeback, when it came, was plenty spirited. The finish was, I guess, the result of the fact they could neither job their number one contender nor their visiting recognised name, but I'm not sure a walk-off countout victory was any really better.

You are missing nothing by not seeing this episode. Yes, I missed the womens tag. I've got to get on with this life.

No comments: