Tuesday 3 April 2012

BLOG UPDATE: Where we are now

So, a strange thing happened last night. I watched a wrestling DVD for the first time in about ten months. The recent hiatus has been a combination of work and study taking up more and more time, combined with a degree of wrestling burnout at the beginning of 2011. I felt sure I would come back to it, soon, one day, maybe tomorrow, but for a long time, I was lazy. Too lazy to sit on a bed and watch fake sport on a laptop (Note to biographers: omit this)

I suspect missing Wrestlemania was probably the deciding factor (more on that in a moment). So I went home last night, and sorted out which DVDs I hadn't yet watched into a pile. Afterwards, I watched a DVD, and I enjoyed it a great deal, and now I'm writing some words about it. It's a bit like the old days, in 2011, when I watched a DVD and then wrote words about it. Part of me was tempted to just start writing a review without even acknowledging the break. I'd be all "What absence? I've actually been here the whole time, watching and reviewing inside my brain." But I RESPECT YOU ALL TOO MUCH to do that. I hope you feel that.

So what's the plan? Good question, self. Firstly, there is the pile to deal with. This consists mostly of 1994 M-Pro, 1993 FMW and some 2010 Japanese indie stuff like the sort that I still like (M-Pro, K-Dojo, possibly some FREEDOMS). Then, I'm expecting an order of WWE DVDs from 2011-12, which I will be starting on over the weekend. I'm going to do a Possible Live Blog for each PPV, and maybe some stuff on the TV shows. Then I need to catch up with the big things of 2011. 2011 is basically a lost year at this point. I watched maybe a bit of Lawler indie stuff, and a couple of IWRG handhelds, and WWE and (apparently) two days worth of Champions Carnival and that's it. Maybe I'll finish off the Carnival, if I still have the files but I'm on the hunt for a best of 2011 comp. Does goodhelmet still do these?

I did decide, however, not to try to be as all-watching as before. In 2009 and 2010 I watched loads of stuff from everywhere to contribute to the WKO 100 and the DVDVR ballots. It apparently leads to the burnout. From now on, it's going to be stuff I enjoy and stuff I think I will enjoy and occasionally things I know I'm going to hate but will enjoy writing about. And then other things that I think I should be watching. Oh, it's happening again.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Glad you're back up and running with this. Your M-Pro project has always been a ton of fun to read about, and it's a pretty handy checklist of sorts when I randomly decide to start sifting through my M-Pro DVDs from time to time.

Brian said...

2011 comp. is up here:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=59059