Sunday 26 July 2009

ECW: 21st July 2009

Yoshi Tatsu vs. Regal is a good opener. Yoshi continues to develop the sort of personality that will help him get over with an American audience. Regal is great here - there's his opening taunt ("I don't like to foreigners") and his great looking strikes, but more than anything he's one of the best guys for making wrestling looking like actual combat and real effort. At least two of Yoshi's kicks look good, including the finisher - I assume this is because Regal is a man and demanded to be kicked in the head before the match.

The rest of the show is really just filler, and I'm struggling to think of much of interest to say. The Jackson match isn't even an entertaining squash. Goldust and Benjamin's match is fine but unremarkable - the finish was a bit flat, but the rest was textbook undercard five minute made-for-TV stuff. I'm more interested in Burchill and his offence, than I am in Tyler Reks and his blandness, but that's not where the booking staff are.

I'm glad to be able to say that they in fact do know roughly what they are doing with Abraham Washington, who now seems confident in a heel persona. But this isn't a main event or anything making me wanting to watch the PPV more than I would do already because of my new-found Christian fandom. I watch ECW because they do focus on the wrestling. When over ten minutes of a forty five minute show is taken up with chat, I feel like I'm wasting my time. Looking forward to Superstars, though.

No comments: