Monday 20 July 2009

A Trio of Trios: Cerebros Terribles vs. Dinastia Navarro (part 1)

Cerebros Terribles are Black Terry, Dr Cerebro and Cerebro Negro, and have been teaming together since 2008. Black Terry is, at this point, the guy I would most happily knock over my grandmother to watch. I mean, I'm not all that keen to do it, but if someone tells me that I am definitely going to have to knock her over, then there had better be some Black Terry professional wrestling behind her. Otherwise, it would just be wrong. Dinastia Navarro is Negro Navarro and his two sons, Trauma I and Trauma II. Black Terry vs. Negro Navarro would be the match I need to see in 2009. Anyway, someone loves me, because a bunch of their matches have appeared (and my grandmother remains blissfully unassaulted). Let's put them together.

All these matches are basically round four hundred and fifty two (and three and four) in their series of "Who's the greatest?". First one is from March 28th of this year. Primera caida is pretty much all on the mat. Terry starts out with Trauma 1.5 (I.V?) - I have no idea which is which, so I take their expected value, for five minutes all on the mat, and then Navarro comes in for another five minutes with Dr Cerebro. Terry's and Navarro's mat sections are very different though, and play to each guy's strengths. Trauma is game, and knows some nice stuff, and isn't lazy selling submissions, but Terry is leading him through the transitions and creating a competitive encounter on his own. There are loads of real nice little touches - he finds a complicated submission, but only holds it for a few seconds because of a sore leg from the previous bit. It's not Terry's most spectacular matwork ever, but I still find him compelling working with a less experienced guy.

Navarro is matched up against a much more experienced guy in Dr. Cerebro, and they engage in a back-and-forth battle of one-upsmanship. The transitions and level of complexity are much higher here - a number of Navarro's holds fabulously intricate. The last few exchanges up the intensity - Navarro counters one Cerebro hold with a version of his own that's slightly more elaborate, and then they properly hit the mat (rather than exchanging standing holds) for the last couple of holds and counters. They finish the fall with some rope-running from the Traumas and a couple of awkward moves - this is a slightly abrupt end to an otherwise excellent fall.

Terry and Navarro start out the second fall, which eschews all mat stuff in favour of brawling. They roll outside for a brief flurry from Navarro and a standoff and you really want to see more. What we get after is a pretty simple rudo beatdown fall, which is fine, with all of the Navarro's losing out to double teams and effective offence from Los Cerebros. This lead to the third fall which carries on in the same way until it all spills to the outside and we get another brief glimpse of Terry and Navarro brawling. Navarro throws some really great rights, Terry is ducking with jabs, Navarro boots Terry into the ring chairs - felt and looked really genuine. Overall, I think this comes in as being really good, but not really great. The first fall is great, and the second two are well done, with brief glimpses of hopefully what 2009 has in store.

I'll skip over the second match (the rematch from the following week) and move onto match three, which is on IWRG's TVC Deportes show from April 16th, in the next post. I can no longer find the April 23rd match in full, which up to this point was my favourite of the series, so I'll have to substitute in something else down the line.

No comments: